Sunday

Grandma Nelsons Chili Sauce


This is my Grandma Nelson's Chili Sauce recipe. Chili Sauce is really yummy on top of a roast (dry or moist). I just would cook the roast and then allow people to spoon some on cold. I've never mixed it into the sauce to marinate it with it. I'm going to be trying this in Meat Loaf in a week or so (when we've got enough hamburger). It is a really yummy sauce that my Mom and I used to make every year along side with salsa. I've modified the recipe so that it stays chunky. Typically it gets really watery when it is pressured cooked too much. You can do whatever canning method you prefer but I prefer pressure cooking. Remember being generous= Chunky sauce.

Grandma Nelson's Chili Sauce

4 qts tomatoes
2 cups chopped onion (be generous)
1 cup chopped sweet red pepper (be generous)
1-2 cups chopped green peppers (be very generous)
2 Tsb. salt
2-3 hot peppers (Serrano, Jalapenos, Fresnos. I've used all three!)
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. All Spice (I don't add this)
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
2 1.2 cups vinegar

Cook thoroughly onions, peppers, and hot peppers in fry pan. Core tomatoes and slice into quarters. In pan combine all ingredients. (You can cook all of the ingredients at this point, but as I use a pressure cooker and have pre-cooked the onions, peppers, and hot peppers I don't cook it as a mixture.) Pack bottles. If using a pressure cooker cook under 15 lbs pressure for 10 minutes.

Use on top of roasts, meat loaf, or as a sweet marinate for other meat dishes.

-Doug (Nelson) Minnick
Posted by Picasa

No comments: